Enable/ Disable Touchpad on Ubuntu 11.04

Sunday, January 15, 2012 3 Comments

Exactly, I am using Linux Mint 11 'Katya'. But, just never mind it, since it based on Ubuntu 11.04. Just unity-less and layouts customization *that's why I'm using it*.

I got a new laptop, like I said yesterday. It's ASUS A43E. After spending almost one-day-full on installing some softwares and a little customization, one thing disturbing me. I could not disable it. Usually, it can be done by pressing 'Fn' combination key. But not. Even if I pressed it many times, it wouldn't go disable.

Until, I surfed the other day (exactly, its today), and found some discussion on Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592273). There are some tricks there. The first thing I trid is  installing the GUI-way, using touchpad-indicator software from ppa, which still gimme no difference. It wasn't work for my ASUS A43E. I found this link (http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/05/how-to-disable-enabletouchpad-in-ubuntu.html -- natty installation steps' version) if you want to try. Maybe you'll get some lucks, since the comments said mostly works just fine. My bad, it was not working on me.

So, I back to the Ubuntu Forums page I found, and try the below steps. At least, these some lines works fine..

[How To Section]
  1.  Disable touchpad
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse
  2. To enable it :
    sudo modprobe psmouse
Just that easy.. :)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Do you think I forgot to change this text? No, dude. I did it on purpose ahahahay..

3 comments

Write comments
March 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM delete

Thanks you, it worked! Touchpad indicator didn't work for me. I have a compaq presio cq60 and I'm runnint ubunto 11.04

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
March 1, 2012 at 4:39 AM delete

Hello there, glad if it helps you :) What do you mean by 'Touchpad Indicator' since AFAIK, Ubuntu doesn't has it :D

If what you mean is 'the touchpad' didn't work, what hardware is used by your laptop? Is it Synaptic or Elantech? If Synaptic, it should be able to be detected. But if Elanctech, mostly Ubuntu distro has not included the driver inside the packages. In short, we must install it by ourself .. In ASUS, I use this method http://mynameisthom.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-touchpad-on-asus-laptop-recognized.html. But I just dont have any idea will it work on Compaq.

Regards,
thom

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
July 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM delete

"Touchpad indicator" is a piece of software, that comes up a lot in Google if you search for "disable touchpad ubuntu 11.04"

Reply
avatar