Manga Downloader for Linux : Installing DomDomSoft on Ubuntu

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4 Comments

Manga Downloader for Linux? I've been trying DomDomSoft Manga Downloader (Win version) before, and I fall in love with it. It such a great Manga downloader. In Linux, I dont find any great tool. Some if using script and the others software is out-of-date. Creepy >.<

Might be using wine/ crossover the software would run. But, unfortunately, 'it didnt'. For normal installation/ use, you would not make it. There are some 'addition steps' to do to get DomDomSoft running well on Ubuntu. Keep reading. I'll show you how to.

Software requirements :

  1. MonoDevelop. Install it using Software Manager. Search for 'monodevelop'.
  2. Make sure you have file DomDomSoft on your computer. Get it from here if you do not have it yet.
  3. Wine. I am not sure if this one is required. I have already installed this software long time before I installed MonoDevelop. Just apply 'if condition' then. If you are not able to use DomDomSoft after following these steps, try to install it :D *no offense*
Here is 'the patch' :
  1. Extract the file.
  2. There are the files and folder as listed :
    1. Folder named 'Config'
    2. Folder named 'Data'
    3. File 'DomDomSoft.exe', and
    4. File 'DomDomSoft Manga Downloader.config'
  3. Place folder 'Config', 'DomDomSoft Manga Downloader.config', 'DomDomSoft.exe' and 'Data' under home folder (/home/YOUR_USERNAME/)
  4. Try to run DomDomSoft by type 'mono /PATH/DomDomSoft.exe'
  5. And viola... Your DomDomSoft should running well ^_^. (At least, by these steps I am able to run DomDomSoft on Ubuntu). Don't forget to change the setting in Options menu.
Tips : I am avoiding to using command line for common apps. So, I just configure/ edit the menu (Ubuntu : alacarte), and add a new item, with command 'mono /home/thom/DomDomSoft.exe'. So, when I wanna download some mangas, I just click it :D

Need help? Leave a comment. I'll help if I could..

Note : The download result might be a lil bit messed up, as Windows structure directory is different with Linux.


Update : 
I am already not using this software any longer. Just because not up-to-date enough. The detection of new manga is slower than when it on Windows. Do not why. But, I have a best place to monitor mangas, called mangashare. All manga mostly there, and quiet up-to-date. There are 2 options, download the manga, or read it online. Fair enough then. Go for it, may be it suit for you :)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Do you think I forgot to change this text? No, dude. I did it on purpose ahahahay..

4 comments

Write comments
November 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM delete

it works.
thanks.


Regards,
Kevin
Blog : Blogging Guides
Blogging Guides for Blogger

Reply
avatar
Kevin
AUTHOR
November 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM delete

hi.
thanks,
it works

Regards,
Kevin
Blog : Winspector-Fans
All about Special Police Winspector

Reply
avatar
November 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM delete

Try to run DomDomSoft by type 'mono /PATH/DomDomSoft.exe' in terminal or where..?

Reply
avatar
Petani Teguh
AUTHOR
November 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM delete

it's not working anymore.
i try using version 3.9.1, but no chapter showed, so i cannot download it....
i try the latest 5.5.4, but it not compatible with Mono....

i try HakuNeko.... but after i compile it, and refresh... nothing showed in the list....

So, my only option is MangaDLR, but it's for Android....

Reply
avatar